|Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is the significance of the logo of this organization?
The image is made up of gold calligraphy inside a silver crescent moon. The al-Khat al-Hurr (free-style) calligraphy spells out fine arts in Arabic. The crescent moon is a traditional symbol of Islam. The Hegira, the Islamic calendar, is based on the phases of the moon.
Gold and silver also are precious metals -- everlasting treasures of the Earth. We hope that when you visit our web site, you will discover the everlasting treasures of Islamic arts and architecture.
- I would like to know whether there are sources written in the English language, either on the Internet or in print, that will help me expand my knowledge of early and modern Islamic and/or Arabic arts/architecture/coins/rugs. I have been searching for reference materials for a long time without much success.
Finding sources written in and/or translated into the English language is not easy. Your best option is to do an extensive search at libraries and/or bookstores. Also, there is a list of references We used for our project which you might find helpful.
- I am interested in learning how to write Arabic calligraphy, and I was wondering if you knew of any sources that discuss the process.
Yes, there are many good sources, most of them written in the Arabic language, that will teach you how to write Islamic calligraphy. There is a list of sources provided on our Web Site. Some of these books might be available at your local libraries and/or bookstores.
- I am very interested in knowing if it would be possible to get a copy of the images on your site, to use on my Web site; for my academic project; for the software application.
Please, read our Copyright Permission Guidelines before submitting your request.
- I was wondering if you knew where I could purchase tutorial books or posters or prints with classic Arabic calligraphy.
Look in the information pages of your phone directory to see if there are any Muslim stores in your area. Listings under Arabic grocery stores, bookstores, and restaurants could be a starting point.
- Will you be adding more information on Islamic architecture in Spain, Pakistan, etc.?
We are doing our utmost best to include as much information as possible on spectacular Islamic objects and structures in many parts of the world. However, it is impossible to include all noteworthy creations.
- My students and I have appreciated your Web site in our study of Islamic arts, and I am wondering whether it is possible to use your site for a presentations I am giving soon.
Yes, please do. Thank you for asking.
- Please include links to other Islamic sites that you encounter.
Many other sites on the Internet already have done this much better than we could. Thank you.
- What software application/s do you use to create the images on your site?
We use a number of different software applications including: Adobe Photoshop, Fractal Painter Designer, SuperPaint, Adobe PhotoStyler, and PaintBrush.
- I would like to get my name written in Arabic Calligraphy, can you help me?
If you wish to get your name or any text written in Arabic Calligraphy, please contact one of the following calligraphers:
Thank you for asking.