Permission Request Guidelines
for using materials from the Islamic Arts and Architecture (IAAO) Organization's Web site All requests for permission to use Islamic Arts and Architecture copyrighted material should be submitted in writing to the Treasurer via email and/or snail mail. When submitting a request via e-mail/fax, you must include your name, employer, employer's address, phone, and the information listed below; we will reply to you via e-mail or snail mail. No verbal requests will be considered. A fee may be assessed depending on your request. Generally, we do not grant blanket permission. However, a royalty agreement may be negotiated in certain cases.
Requesters should provide the following information:
- Title of IAAO work;
- Full bibliographic reference information such as: title of article(s), image(s) and the full URL;
- What you intend to use, e.g. full article (how many copies?), a portion of the article (percentage), and send a marked copy of the text you plan to use, etc.; and
- Where it will be reused
- If making individual photocopies, where will they be distributed, such as at a conference, to customers, in-house to employees only, etc.
- If the work will be republished, let us know if the material will be published in a book, journal, or magazine, give us the title of the work, the name of the publisher of the work in which our material will appear, the book editor's name, the title and authors' of the chapter, etc.
- The deadline by which you need this permission; We will try to accommodate your deadline, but please note that our turnaround time is 2-4 working days for article requests, and 3-6 working days for picture requests.
- For classroom use requests, please send us your name, address, phone number, fax number, the professor's name and class name/no., the university name, the number of students in the class (copies/article), and the citation. We will respond to you via email and fax.
The more information that you supply to us, the faster that we can grant your request. It is helpful if you would supply photocopies of any artwork, photographs, or other materials along with your request. To expedite our handling of your request, please email/mail a self-addressed envelope and a copy of your request. Also, please include your telephone number and your fax number in the body of your letter; we find it difficult to read phone/fax numbers on letterheads, particularly if this information is printed in a small font size.
Should permission be granted to you, we will require that you print the IAAO copyright credit line on the page of the article or book chapter where our material will appear. For pictures, the credit may appear with the image, in a footnote, or in the reference list. The standard credit line is, "Reprinted with permission from [reference citation]. Copyright [year] Islamic Arts and Architecture." [Example: Reprinted with permission from IAAO 02, 01-2000. Copyright 2000 Islamic Arts and Architecture Organization]