Position: Chair, Department of
Institution: University of Sharjah
Location: United Arab Emirates
Date Posted: May 1, 2004
|The College of Health Sciences is one of the eight colleges of the University of Sharjah. It is a fast growing college with six undergraduate programs, Medical Laboratory Technology, Medical Diagnostic Imaging, Nursing, Health Services Administration, Physiotherapy, and Environment Health. The medium of instruction is English. The college seeks qualified candidates to fill the following position in the academic year 2004-2005.
Department of Nursing - Chair Person
Department of Nursing offers a B.S. in Nursing, a four-year program.
Scope of Work: The Chair of the Department of Nursing reports to the Dean of the College of Health Sciences and directs, administers, and coordinates all research, educational, and professional activities. In collaboration with the Dean and the nursing faculty, the Chair develops strategic directions and plans for the Department. The Chair is responsible for the integration of the Department into the College of Health Sciences and the University and linkage with related educational and health care systems of the United Arab Emirates.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Chair is expected to:
- Liaise with health care facilities within Sharjah and throughout the Emirates to facilitate clinical education and research
- Establish and supervise the implementation of strategic directions, goals, objectives, and policies in relation to the education and research activities within the Department
- Prepare the annual department's human resource and equipment needs
- Maintain records of the activities of the department, records of university documents relating to the department, and supervise their use in accordance with rules and practices followed by the University
- Supervise the selection of course textbooks and references
- Administer the assignment of teaching responsibilities to faculty members within the department for each semester and submit schedule accordingly
- Encourage academic research and assist faculty members in conducting research
- Distribute students amongst academic advisors and follow up the progress of their study plans
- Have knowledge in undergraduate nursing curriculum and of practices, policies and procedures in higher education
- Provide leadership for nursing curriculum development and revisions
- Have knowledge of teaching methodologies relevant to curriculum
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with faculty and other Departments
The applicant must:
- Have a Ph.Din Nursing or a related field
- Have full command of spoken and written English and preferably Arabic
- Have experience in teaching and preferably administration in a baccalaureate nursing program
- Have demonstrable qualities of leadership
- Have a research background and current involvement in research
- Have a clear vision for the development of baccalaureate education
The university offers a two-year renewable contract with competitive tax-free salary commensurate with qualifications and experience; free furnished accommodation; educational allowance for the teaching of children up to AED20,000 for one child and up to AED40,000 for all children from KG2 to undergraduate level in or outside the UAE; annual paid leave of sixty days, annual round-trip excursion air tickets to Sharjah from the place of citizenship for the employee, spouse, and up to three dependent children under age of 18 residing with employee in Sharjah; group medical insurance; shipping allowance, one-month salary as gratuity for each year of service completed at the University, paid annually.
Applicants should send by post, fax, or e-mail a covering letter and a curriculum vitae including the names of at least three references (with their e-mail addresses) to the address below. Applications should be received by June 30, 2004 to be assured full consideration.
Human Resources Department
University of Sharjah
P.O. Box 27272, Sharjah, U.A.E.
Fax: +(971) 6 5050115